Monday, April 25, 2011

Wrestling

OK let's talk about wrestling. Wrestling is probably the last sport I wanted my children to do. Kevin was never a wrestler but he was determined he wanted to sign Avery up for wrestling. I couldn't understand why. The first time I walked in the practice room I about fell over because it was s-t-i-n-k-y with a capital S. It was like walking into a hot sauna with a bunch of sweaty football players. And then I looked at the mats and couldn't help but think what kind of skin infections were we going to come home with us. But, with all things said, I am actually very happy we did it. In fact we will probably make both our kids wrestle for a while. I think it teaches them they can overcome things that are hard. Most of all, it teaches them to lose. Don't get me wrong, it is very hard for a mother to watch your son pinned down with his legs flailing in the air. Aunt Meme can't even come to watch because she starts crying and then I start crying and then we have to try to dry it up before Avery sees us. But my point is that I think these are great things for our boys to learn. I am very proud of Avery. He went out to every match with courage and learned a lot along the way.



No comments: